Sunday, October 23, 2011

So I worked yesterday at the Francis Marion Hotel. I am only part-time on call. We had a wedding. I've worked millions of those at my last job (in Kalamazoo, Michigan) so they are easy enough. I was supposed to take care of the bridal party, which apparently does not mean the same thing it did in Michigan. I asked my boss, and the person in charge of wedding sales what the bride and groom's names were. No one knew. But they didn't seem to need me anyway. There were two wedding planners there, so that could have been part of it. But it was a little odd.

Weddings in Charleston are a big business. It is nothing like in Michigan. People here are hard-core. The Wedding Row is an amazing blog about all things wedding-related in the Charleston area. They feature real weddings which are great inspirations and a ton of great vendors.

I had attempted to get a job doing the event planning stuff, but there only seems to be plenty of unpaid internships. Which, I did, when I was in college. Now, with rent to pay, there is no room for unpaid work. That's super frustrating because there just aren't that many entry-level jobs available. I had seven months as a banquet manager after graduation and a year and a half of corporate internships that people don't like to count as experience.

I'm ranting....

Excited to see my parents in November, and missing my dog, Bella, a lot.

A friend from work finally got my desktop computer working. So I will finally be able to include photos when I post. Except now, my wireless keyboard isn't working.

Still trying to figure out this technology stuff.

My friend Amy sent me a package the other day with some candy and an Audrey Hepburn planner. Missing her too. So hard to not have these people around!

Praying about this job I should be hearing about this week. Fingers Crossed!

2 comments:

  1. I know it seems like the world is crashing down around you and no one is there to hear you screaming, but just know that I am here for you. You WILL find an amazing job that you love and fits your personality and life. Trust me...I know how you feel. That's why we have each other to be able to tell ourselves that we will find something; there is a job out there for us. Until that day comes (and I know it will come) keep your head up and stay positive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I don't know how to change my name on here.

    ReplyDelete